The Swing

When I was in grade school, we didn't have some of the nice things that school rooms are full of now. Instead of watching a learning program on the room TV, we learned to memorize poems, dates and ALL the words to the National Anthem.

I can remember reciting this poem in 5th grade assembly and can't pass a swingset in a park or someone's yard without reciting it in my mind.!!!!


The Swing
by Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

We sat in front of the radio, listened to the nightly programs (The Green Hornet, I love a Mystery, Suspense) and used our imaginations......and like the above poem sticks in my mind, when I hear the first strains of the "William Tell Overture" I think of the Lone Ranger!!!